Why is it so complicated with Java to access files on a remote Java Servlet container ?
For example, why is it so complicated to code the upload of a file from an Android device or a PC Desktop to a remote Tomcat or other JavaEE server for treatment by a Servlet? Java developers have no easy built in APIs or tools to handle this. There is the solution to set up a FTP server but itís cumbersome: it requires amendments to security rules and new developments to link the uploaded file to Tomcat or other JavaEE Servlet Server. Another solution is to use client and server libraries (Apache Commons HttpClient, FileUpload, etc.), but you have to write, test and maintain the code, define the security rules, handle proxy considerations, manage the errors, etc.
Awake FILE is our attempt to offer an easy solution for:
- Uploading files to a remote servlet server.
- Downloading files from a remote servlet server.
- Creating/deleting/accessing remote files and directories.
- Calling a remote java method without complicated setup.
- Defining strong security rules for all these operations.
File upload through HTTP
This snippet shows how to upload a file with few lines of code: